Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Commonality in Diversity, and Growing Into Feeling Like Me

Sometimes I am amazed at the diversity among us, when we're all so similar (need food, water, shelter, companionship; are creative, seek self-expression, look for "the meaning of it all"...).

Sometimes at the commonalities, when we're all so very different (introvert/extrovert, creative/literal, shy/outgoing, planner/spontaneous, leader/follower, victim/survivor, religious/skeptical, NT/ASD...)

When I find the commonality in the diversity, I just have to sit down and grin a while at the juxtaposition.

I've been spending I-don't-know-how-long feeling around the edges of a topic in my thoughts and in my journal, vaguely planning to write it here once I get it more figured out so I can make a semi-coherent thing of it. Then, this morning, I find that someone else (guess who) already has fleshed it out so much more completely and with much more lucidity than I think I was going to be able to do. I find that she does specifically well at finding the words for emotions, an area where I can spend a significant amount of time & still end up feeling like I'm spinning my wheels.

So, reading this post about Renee's feelings about her Autism diagnosis, and her feelings about it coming so late in life, and all the feelings she had before her diagnosis is, to me, a powerful picture of the commonality we have within our (neuro)diversity.

Thanks, Renee!

0 comments:

Post a Comment